Synopsis: The Early Level Contemporary Festival (ELCF) provides a performance experience for students at the Preparatory through Fourth Levels of study and promotes the appreciation music of the 20th and 21st century. Students play under pressure before a live audience and qualified judge, helping to prepare them for the Advanced Contemporary Festival (ACF).
- Levels: Preparatory through and including Level Four
- Deadline to apply: 11:59 PM, Sunday afternoon, October 5, 2019
- Fee: $14.00 per performer.
- Date and Time: October 20, 2019, 2:30-6 p.m. Exact time may vary.
- Location: Holy Trinity Lutheran Church.
- Music allowed: Music of 20th and 21st-century composers, Preparatory through level Four, which displays compositional techniques such as pointillism, modes and contrived scales, polyrhythm and polytonality, jazz idioms, etc. The solo compositions of pedagogic composers such as Mier, Faber, and Vandall are allowed. Teachers may find it helpful to consult the CM syllabus for selections.
- Time limit: Three minutes. More than one piece by the same or by different composers is allowed if within the time limit.
- Memorization: Pianists may not use music during the performance. Other disciplines may use music as is customary to their discipline.
Dress and Decorum: MTAC Conejo Valley requests that all students and attendees show respect for this event through their dress. Recommendations as follows:
- Boys: Slacks with a belt and tucked in buttoned shirt with a collar and dress shoes. Jacket and tie are desirable but optional.
- Girls: Dress or a skirt and blouse and dressy shoes.
Solid black sneakers are acceptable.
Prohibited: Shorts, t-shirts, blue-jeans and white or colored sneakers.
Special Instructions: Students are to number the first measure of each line of their music and bring it to the performance for use by the judge. Students are to arrive no less than fifteen minutes prior to his or her group’s start time.