“KOOLFEST MTAC!” is a popular-music event which promotes “pop” musical styles, such as jazz, ragtime, new age, rock and musical theater, usually of the 20th and 21st century. A pop rendition of a classical piece would also qualify under this category. Students of all disciplines and at all levels are provided an opportunity to perform before a live audience and be critiqued by a qualified judge.
- Who may enter: Students of all levels.
- Deadline to apply: 11:59 PM, Saturday, May 2, 2020. Koolfest Application link
- Fee: $14.00 per performer.
- Date and Time: Sunday, May 17, 2020, 2:00-7:00 p.m. Exact time may vary.
- Location: Holy Trinity Lutheran Church, 1 Avenida de los Arboles, Thousand Oaks, CA 91360
- Time limit: Four minutes. A student may play more than one piece by either the same or a different composer as long as the combined time does not exceed 4 minutes.
- Musical allowed: Including but not limited to the following styles: folk, spiritual, ragtime, jazz, new age, rock, country, musical theatre, videogame, film, etc. Students may perform their own compositions as well. Contact the chairperson with questions regarding repertoire selections.
- Memorization: Students are encouraged to play pieces from memory; however, music may be used as required. If music is original or improvisational, a sketch or musical outline may be used as needed.
Dress and Decorum: No shorts, t-shirts or bluejeans or white athletic shoes. Students may wear stylish popular clothing as appropriate to the period and type of music being presented. For example, a bowler hat and vest would be appropriate for a ragtime performer.
Special Instructions: Students are to number the first measure of each line of their music or lead-sheet and bring it to the performance for the judge’s use. If your music is not written (i.e., if you are going to improvise), please provide the judge with a simple outline of your idea. For example, “I am going to play blues in F. I call it: “My Rainy-Day Blues.”
Arrival time: no less than fifteen minutes prior to his or her group’s start time.