Synopsis: The Advanced Contemporary Festival encourages the performance of Contemporary style works of the last 100 years. The composer must have been alive during the last 100 years and must exhibit 20th-21st century compositional techniques, including, pointillism, serialism, modes and contrived scales, polyrhythm, polytonality, etc.
Each year the preliminary festival is judged by a panel of 3 stellar adjudicators. Those students scoring high enough are invited to play at the Gold Medal Festival held 2 weeks following at the Thousand Oaks Civic Arts Plaza.
- Who may enter: Level 5 – Advanced Panel
- Registration: occurs online each September and closes early October
- Basic Fee: $32.00 per performer.
- Dates: Preliminary Festival, October 27 & 28, 2018; Gold Medal Festival, November 11, 2018.
- Time Limit: Although pieces may be played in their entirety at the Gold Medal Festival, there is a 4 minute time limit at the preliminary.
- Music Allowed: Contemporary music from the last 100 years. (Note: composer must have lived within the last 100 years). Please request a list of composers who are NOT ALLOWED in this festival if you do not already have one
- Memorization: Pianists may not use music during performance. Other disciplines may use music as is customary to their discipline.
Dress and Decorum: It is requested that students show respect for this event through their dress. It is recommended they dress as follows:
- Boys: slacks with belt and tucked in buttoned shirt with collar with dress shoes. Jacket and tie are desirable.
- Girls: dress or a skirt and blouse and dressy shoes.
Shorts, t-shirts, blue-jeans and white or colored sneakers are not allowed (exception: black sneakers).
Special Instructions: Students are to number the first measure of each line of their music and bring it to the performance for the judges use. Students are to arrive no less than fifteen minutes prior to his or her group’s start time.