Hillcrest Center for the Arts, 403 W. Hillcrest Drive, Thousand Oaks, CA 91360
October 24 & 25, 2020, 9:00 AM – 6:00PM
- Who may enter: Level 5 – Advanced Panel
- Registration: Opens September 1, 2020, and closes October 4, 2020.
- Fee: Basic Fee $32. An additional charge of $4 will be added to request the day and another $4 will be added for a time request.
- Date and Time: Preliminary Festival, October 24 & 25, 2020 from 9:00 AM – 6:00 PM. Gold Medal Festival, Date TBD.
- Advanced Contemporary Festival: (click) Application Link
- Advanced Contemporary Music Festival – Ineligible Composers List
- Time Limit: Although pieces may be played in their entirety at the Gold Medal Festival, there is a 4 minute time limit at the preliminary event.
- Music Allowed: Contemporary music from the last 100 years which must exhibit 20th-21st century compositional techniques.
- Repertoire using Romantic idioms is strongly discouraged, even if the composer is eligible.
- Not all pieces listed under 20/21st Century in the CM syllabus are eligible for this festival.
- The Thousand Oaks Civic Arts Plaza does not permit any form of manipulations, markings, or objects placed on the piano strings. If a student is performing a composition that requires manipulation of the piano, the teacher should “edit” the piece and omit the parts that require altering the piano. However, if manipulation of strings is necessary, or is very essential to the piece, teachers should be aware that the students will NOT be allowed to play their piece at TOCAP, but can still receive a Gold Medal.
- MTAC Conejo Valley Teachers, a link to the list of composers who are NOT ALLOWED in this festival appears on this page (see above).
- Repertoire Approval Process: Teachers, once the registration is due in October, students submitted to the festival playing “not eligible” pieces will be automatically disqualified and registration fees will not be refunded. If you have concerns as to whether your repertoire selections for your students “exhibit 20th-21st century compositional techniques” and are eligible for the festival please contact Festival Chair Emily Wu, who will present your repertoire to the Festival Committee for approval. So that students have adequate time to prepare for the festival please submit your repertoire to the Festival Committee in a timely manner.
- Memorization: Pianists may not use music during performance. Other disciplines may use music as is customary to their discipline.
Dress and Decorum: It is requested that students show respect for this event through their dress.
Special Instructions: Students are to number the first measure of each line of their music and bring it to the performance for the judges use. Students are to arrive no less than fifteen minutes prior to his or her group’s start time.
Address questions to: email@example.com